Saturday, November 1, 2008


I guess the hospital has done a terrible job transferring phone calls to me. So with that said, I have finally had a few minutes to jump on my blog and let you know that we were discharged and Carson is home. He did such a great job and mommy is so proud.

First off, the surgery was suppose to be at 3:25 and we didn't get to go down until 5:30. Surgery took about an hour and half and then he was out. It lasted so much shorter than we ever thought. Dr Nicklaus came down and said everything went very well and that she didn't see anything wrong with his anatomy. So with that being said, his swallowing issues are for a different reason. She also said that his vocal cords did look a little swollen and she didn't have any rhyme or reason for that. When he came into recovery they were able to take his breathing tube out then but they did have to give him a breathing treatment. When he finally started coming around they let us in to see him. He was crying hysterically and was so scared. It literally took us two + hours to finally calm him down.

After we settled in his room (which was probably close to 10:00PM), Charlie and I just pretty much rocked him. He finally drank some apple juice and even ate some jello. I was pretty impressed with that. They finally took him off his O2 and IV around midnight. I finally got him to sleep and rocked him until about 3:30AM when Charlie woke up and took over. He stayed asleep until about 7:15. We didn't get him to eat anything but he did drink some more apple juice for us.

The Resident Dr came by around 10 or so and said since he is doing so well and his lungs were sounding great, we could be discharged today if we wanted. So I didn't give that a second thought. We got packed up and got him home and I have been loving on him ever since. As long as we keep his Loritab in him, he seems to be doing fine. He did however stay awake ALL day and didn't go to sleep until around 8:00PM. I don't know if he is having a fear of us leaving him or what. He has been extra clingy but after all he has been through, I don't mind at all.

Anyways, that is it for now. I will post some pictures of Carson tomorrow when I get the time.

I do want to tell every one of you that I'm so thankful for all of the thoughts, prayers, phone call, and comments you all have left. I knew he would be okay with so many thinking of him. Look at what all of your prayers did? It got Carson home a lot sooner than we ever dreamed of. Thanks again!


Carey said...

I'm glad it went well, ahhhh, home sweet home.

Wendy said...

Glad to hear you were released and that things went well. Hope the tubes help his ears. My oldest was a completely different boy once he got tubes and no longer had to contend with ear infections. Of course, Carson has a bit more on his plate than just ear infections. Still, whatever makes your lives a bit easier, is all good!

Kyle, Aimee and Ava said...

I hope Carson is feeling better. Glad that you are home!

Rachel said...

I am so glad to hear all went well. I thought of him all night that night until I finally got ahold of you. I was getting worried when they kept telling me he wasnt there.

If you need not hesitate to let me know.

Love to you all,


lonestar818 said...

Glad to hear you're home, I hope he's feeling better soon.

Kaden and Angel Ava's mommy said...

I hope Mr. Carson is feeling better. I couldn't imagine the fear of waking up that young in a strange place and not knowing anyone. Poor guy. I am already starting to worry about that with Kaden for his Dec. surgery. I hate this stuff. I really don't know what to expect when we have to hand him off (although the nurses always say he does fine, I am not too sure).

Anyway, I hope you guys are getting a lot of cuddle time and sleep. Get better soon Carson, thinking of you.

Kaden and Angel Ava's mommy said...

Hope everything is still going well for you guys and Carson is feeling better!!!

lisaschaos said...

That major being upset after surgery you talked about we experienced with my grandson after his surgery, but the nurse had warned us beforehand that children react that way to the anesthesia.

Glad all went well for Carson. :)

Rachel said...

So so sorry to hear you and Charlie caught a cold from the hospital! Hope you both feel better real soon. I hope Carson is doing well. I think of you often. I still need to get over there and clear the boxes out of your dining room....Thanks Again for that.

Your Dear Friend!