Saturday, November 8, 2008

The famous question is, how is Carson?

Well all the nurses and doctor's were right. They all said he would be in the most pain from days 5-10 for the scabbing over. He has woke up every night drooling real bad and can't even swallow. I feel so bad for him with all the pain he has been in.

Wednesday night he woke up at 2:00AM screaming and spit out 9mls of pain med. He is given 3 mls of pain med but he was in so much pain he couldn't even swallow the medicine. I'm also giving him a Maalox and Benadryl mixture that is suppose to help coat his throat. So needless to say, we were up the rest of the night. He isn't taking any naps at all since we have had our surgery. It is almost like he is scared that I'm going to leave him again. He finally went to bed around 8:00PM and I followed shortly after.

Thursday morning he woke up at 2:15,3:00,4:00, and we finally got up for good at 5:30AM. I feel like he is having nightmares because he is crying in his sleep and then he wakes up and clinches on to me. I have had to have him basically sleep right on top of me so he felt safe. When he wakes up I ask him if he is hurting and sometimes it would be yes and I would give him medicine When he says no I ask him what is wrong and he says "scares". Has anyone ever had this happen with your child after any type of surgery or hospital stay? I'm hoping that this is a temporary deal and it will pass.

Friday he was still in a lot of pain. He just laid around and watched Scooby Doo, Signing Time, and Young and the Restless. :-). He finally took a 20 minute nap and then he sat strait up and started screaming again. I rocked him to sleep around 9 last night and didn't move until about 11.

Then again, we woke up off and on all night and he is still crying. He did sleep in to 7:15AM this morning which is the latest so far. Since today is Saturday, we were blessed with lots of visitors which helped me out with my saneness. First came my niece Aspen who stayed for a couple of hours. Then Carson's babysitter (second mom) Kelley came over and she was so sad to see him. He was real miserable and kept gagging because he couldn't swallow. Then my friend Casey stopped by and stayed for a couple of hours as well. My mom brought Carson a used but new to him TV. The one in his room is so old that there aren't any jacks to plug in a VCR/DVD player into. So the one we got is a VCR combo and I have a DVD player. This way he can watch all of Coltan and Cody's Disney movies on VCR and I don't have to go out and buy all those movies on DVD's.

Then the last visitor of the night was my most exciting visit. It was Rachel from Love for 9. We have talked, texted, and blogged for about the last 4 months and we finally got to meet. She knew I was having a terrible day yesterday and volunteered to come by then but my mom and step dad were already on their way so I told her to wait until today so we could have more time together. Since Casey surprised me it ended up being all three of us but I still had a great time. It was so nice to just sit and visit and Carson only had a few meltdowns. Rachel is going to try to stop by tomorrow with her daughter after she picks her up from Melana's dad's house. So I'm hoping she does and I will get lots of pictures of the two cuties. Carson was able to sign a little for Rachel and did say a few words in Spanish. He even gave her his great big smiles and I know he likes her because he even tickled her a couple of times.

Anyways I just wanted everyone to know that Carson is still hanging in there and I did get over my cold so even though I'm very sleep deprived, at least I can function a little better. I actually counted and for the last 4 nights, I have had 12 hours of sleep total.


Shari said...

Poor babe! All three of mine had their tonsils out between two and three years old. They all had huge tonsils/adenoids that caused sleep apnea. Oh I remember them being in pain for those 5-6 days. I know it's tough being sleepless. We usually tried to coax the medicine and then an ice pop or something to try and help. I hear ya. As far as the nightmares and clinching, clinging, etc. My two youngest were that way and it stopped about three weeks after the surgery and they were healed up running around again. They, too, would say "scared" or "scares." I think part of it too is the fear of the pain if they swallow, etc. Hang in there! You are such a good Mommie!

Kaden and Angel Ava's mommy said...

First of all...Carson, I think you are the cutest doctor I have ever seen!!!

I am so sorry that Carson is not sleeping well. I hope everything starts getting better real soon. After Kaden's last two surgeries he went through those nights as well. He did not want to be alone and I would end up many nights holding him until he would fall asleep. I wish I knew exactly what their fears are, but of course they are too young to describe it. Hang in there, hopefully before long he will be back to himself.

Bren said...

Oh wow! Poor little guy...and poor you! Hope his recovery is quick and easy.

And it's nice to "meet" you. :)

Kyle, Aimee and Ava said...

Poor little guy... I'm especially sorry that he is not sleeping well. Again, please let me know if you need anything.

I'll be posted pictures from my Halloween Party sometime today. I would have posted them earlier but I lost my camera and just found it in Ava's toy box this morning.

Anonymous said...

We're praying for you guys... I'm so sorry this has been so rough on Carson. :( (and you!) We'll continue to pray that he feels better soon..... We had company staying with us this weekend and I am just now catching up on your blog. Thinking of you a lot. :)
Love, melissa

Lacia said...

Awww....poor guy. I hope he's feeling better real soon. It stinks to see your kids hurting so bad.

Kaia had her tonsils out at 22 months and I felt SO bad for her. I had my tonsils out at 18 years old so I remember how awful it feels. That was the worst...not just imagining how bad the pain must be, but KNOWING how bad it is. My biggest fear though was her dehydrating. We made sure to keep pumping her full of fluids. For the first day or two (or three) I was giving her a 5 ml syringe of juice or water every chance I got. She couldn't drink from an open cup very well at all at the time, and a sippy cup or bottle was a no no, so that's why we did the syringe. The nurses had told us to keep her throat moist as a dry throat equals more pain. As long as her throat was moist she was more willing to take her meds. Keep up on the meds whether he needs them or not. If he is due to have it, give it to him...even if you have to wake him up. It's easier to keep the pain at bay than to try and play catch up and wait until it hurts.

Anyways, thanks for the comment on my blog.

lisaschaos said...

You must be exhausted. Hopefully he'll be feeling much better soon. XO

Tracey said...

I sure hope Carson get some sound sleep tonight - wiht no nightmares! And I will pray that he gets better soon. Hang in there!!!

Rachel said...

I was so glad to come over and hang out with you and Carson. I must say, I didnt think he could get any cuter, but he is even cuter in person. I had a great time visiting. I know we will do it more often.

I'm sorry I didnt get by with Melana Sunday, but I didnt pick her up from Daddy's house till 12 or so and then I stayed for several hours visiting with his mom (since she's sick) and by then I needed to get home and get stuff done before i picked the boys up at 8:30.

We will get our two little boogers together soon. They will have a blast together! Maybe this weekend when the big brothers are home so they can all meet too.

Love ya girl!


Tammy and Parker said...

Tonsils and adenoids were a rough surgery for Parker too.

I'm glad Carson is feeling better.

It is so hard to see our little guys in such pain. I hope this provides answers and a solution!

Julie said...

It's so hard to see our babies in pain like that. I'm sorry he had to go through this. My mother has a silent aspiration that developed a couple of years ago. Because she aspirates food and liquids without knowing and develops lung infections she can take in very little orally and has a feeding pump now for her nutrition needs. The doctors don't know why this has occured, she is not even 60 yet.

I hope your little guy, who is so stinkin' adorable, recovers quickly.