Thursday, May 1, 2008

Well now for the bad news....

So I took Carson to Childrens Mercy yesterday for his monthly asthma appointment. What I thought would be a normal follow up appointment and maybe change some of his meds around was anything but that. The Dr. went through a thorough history of Carson over the last 4 weeks and told me that we are going to give him a different dose of flovent 2 puffs twice a day instead of 2 puffs once a day. She is also going to prescribe Singular for him to take once a day and we will keep him on Zyrtec and his Abuteral inhaler for any time he is outdoors. She did state she was still concerned with him having 3 flare ups with asthma in one month with two becoming severe attacks. So after she did her consult with me she went to confer with the Asthma/Allergy director and the came back with the news.......Dr Downling stated that Carson has had way to many episodes and there has to be an underlying problem. He stated that there are a few concerns with Carson, 1. He has lost 2 pounds in a month. 2. Asthma flare ups are not under control. 3. He hasn't gained much wait at all and is considered underweight for his age without an explanation. 4. He gets choked a lot when he eats and drinks. 5. His bowel movements are not consistent. So, they are going to test him for Cystic Fibrosis.

So, I grasped the information as best as I could, took Carson to the car and cried all the way home. He is such a beautiful child. How could there be something so seriously wrong like that? It was all I could do to give him back to Kelley so I could get caught up at work. I just want to hold him all of the time and don't want to let him out of my sight. He is my baby and all I can think about is snuggling with him right now.

His appointment for testing is next Wednesday and they said it will take a few days for the results. They also want him to go to a pulmonary specialist so I will be making that appointment as well. Then they also want to look at the possibility of acid reflux. So that would be a GI specialist. There will be a lot of exhausting trips back and forth over the next 6 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely thankful that the doctors want to be thorough but this waiting game for the next two weeks is going to be a challenge.

As far as Coltan and Cody, nothing to exciting for them. They spent Tuesday and Wednesday with their dad and they will be home tonight. Cody has a soccer game at 6:00PM up north so I will be hustling around grabbing Carson and Cody to get them up north and figure out a way to get Coltan to his soccer practice at 6:15 in Lee's Summit.

The joys of being a busy mom....but I wouldn't trade them for anything!

Please keep Carson in your thoughts over the next couple of weeks until we find an answer. Please pray that he is and always will be healthy.

No comments: