Well sorry it's been a while. My sweet little Carson decided to pull a couple of keys off of my laptop and they had to replace the whole keyboard.
Last Wednesday we took Carson down to Children's for his sweat test and by Friday we found out it was negative!!!! So at least we had a good start of the weekend for that news.
The Coltan and Cody are still going strong with soccer. We had several games over the weekend but they each had one cancelled due to the strong storms that came in Saturday evening.
By Monday, we had another Doctor appointment at Children's Mercy and this time it was to see the Pulmonary specialist. I took some pictures of him in the room and will download tomorrow when I get my computer back. We got there at 1:45 for his 2:00 appointment and she decided she wants him to see a Speech Pathologist for a swallow test and also wants him to do a PH Probe. The Speech Pathologist hasn't contacted me but we had to fill out a lot of info and mail it to her office. Once she gets it, she will look it over and contact us to schedule an appointment. As far as the PH Probe, we will be admitted into Children's Mercy South on Sunday and it is a 24 hour test. They will be putting wires down Carson's nose and he has to eat around the clock every 3 hours so they can monitor his swallowing and gag reflex. They said he will gag for a while until he gets used to it and the most important thing is keeping Carson's hands off of the wires. They said if he pulls the wires out they will have to start the whole test over. Please give us strength to help him leave the wires alone. So after the appointment we had to go down and draw blood. He, as everyone can probably figure out on their own, was not a happy camper at all! Charlie held him while they drew 4 vials of blood. The nurse called me the next day and said considering his situation his results looked okay. What does that mean exactly?
So, Monday night and Tuesday night Carson started running a low temp. Nothing over 101 but I knew something was going on. I was worried that he is finally picking something up from the hospital. It's only a matter of time. He started developing spots on his chin that looked like impetigo. He already had an appointment with Dr. Tarvin for his DTAP vaccination. When we went to his appointment Dr. Tarvin said we would wait until next week for his shot since he is running a temperature. I asked him to get Carson's blood work and explain to me what the pulmonary doctor wasn't telling me. He said he has an iron deficiency and we need to look into that a little more. He said his IGG was elevated but that has to due with the hemoglobin in your system and fighting off infections. He said it was probably a little high since he is fighting something right now. The fever is probably a side effect of his impetigo. He also said his IGE were way high. They were 276. Normally it is 0-51. He said that one traces amounts of asthma/allergies in your system. It just confirms that Carson has severe asthma and allergies. His White and Red blood cell counts looked good. They were in normal range which is what doctors look at for low immune systems, cancers, organ damage. So that was good news. We were all concerned that he had some type of immune deficiency which would have lead into major problems.
So a recap, he goes to Children's South and is admitted for at least 24 hours this Sunday, May 18. Then we go back to Children's downtown to see the plastic surgeon on May 21st about his scar under his chin from Halloween. This appt has actually been scheduled since mid November of last year. We thought a pebble or something is in there and Dr. Tarvin recommended a plastic surgeon since he is only 2. Then we see the GI specialist on May 29th to check out acid reflex. Back to the Asthma clinic on June 11th and we won't see the pulmonary specialist until Aug 5th. But if the PH Probe and speech pathologist come back normal, she is going to schedule another procedure on Carson where they will actually sedate him and put a scope down his throat to his lungs. They will put saline in his lung sac and draw it back up to see if he has bacteria or micro organisms in there which is causing so many flare ups. We won't know about that test until the first two are performed.
Now, I just want to tell Coltan how proud I was of him yesterday. He had his first middle school track meet and he did rather well. He ran the 100 meter and placed first. Then the did the 4x4 and he was the third one to relay and moved up from 5 to 3 and Campbell finished third. He ran two other races and placed 5th and 2nd. He did a really good job and I think he really enjoys track. He's already talking about taking it next year as well.
Chris got bumped on his shifts so he now will have Coltan and Cody on Sunday's and Monday's. I will have to get used to that. He has had them on Tuesday and Wednesday's for about 2 years now. Oh well. He will probably get to spend more time with them now since he has them on a weekend day.
I will try to post a little more tomorrow with some pictures of the boys and hopefully tomorrow's post won't be so long. I'm trying to cover the last 8 days in one so sorry it was a novel to read.
Autumn- A Perfect Time to Tackle Your TBR List
14 hours ago